Header

Saturday 15 March 2014

Radiant Orchid

Last year I entered into the Pantone fun by making a cushion in Emerald shades of green that, although all from my stash, were not exactly shouting 'me'.

This year the challenge of a purple.  A colour I am seriously lacking, although not through any dislike, I actually like it quite a lot, maybe there aren't so many purples out there?  So it was doubly surprising that I had quite a few solids that would fit the bill.


I made up a little wonky cross block a few weeks back, and then stalled on the what to do with it.  After a disproportionate amount of deliberation, I settled on a simple mug-rugesque mini...


Leanne's influence again, and I matchstitch quilted it in Aurifil 2021 50wt, what else, and after fusing on a square of Vilene H640 fleece, I backed it with a scrap of mauve Oakshott...


I think it is pretty sweet.  The quilting definitely makes the solidness less so, which is a great thing in my book, but I cannot see me attempting to convert anything much bigger than this 8" square...


So I am linking up with Adrienne and by the looks of it already, many others who have made way more of an effort than me!

2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid

Deets in one place for the factually obsessive:
Finished 8" square
Kona solids in various shades of purple
Oakshott cotton for backing
Pieced and matchstick quilted in Aurifil 2021 50wt

So there you go.  A little finish at long last.

If this is your first time visiting, hello and welcome.  If you have a look about, please ignore my lack of recent productivity, I have been pre-occupied with medical stuff, but hoping that I will back to regular service and sociability levels really soon.

For those of you who come by frequently, we went out in the sun for a stroll today, which has left me feeling like we conquered Everest, but I have stayed awake all day, so it's all good, and even the de-caff PG is fine by me. xxx

30 comments:

  1. Lovely mix of purple and fabulous quilting! Nice to hear you got some sunshine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very sweet, I love purple and the quilting really makes it look special. Take it easy, missus! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's only 8" - thought it was way bigger!!!!! Love the design and the quilting. Sounds like you had a fabulous day - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful! Tiny piecing and matchstick quilting, and then on top of that, solids, these are things that are my most favourite! I am glad you feel better too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you had a good day. Absolutely love your mini. Purple is a colour I do have a lot of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally understand your "disproportionate amount of deliberation" comment and think your quilt is super especially the extensive quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's lovely! Small but perfectly formed (just like me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small is sometimes just right, and this is lovely with the cross blocks and that matchstick quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my favourite colour! Fab! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. this turned out gorgeous. Might make me actually like purple :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this little wonderfulness!! Thanks for inspiring me... A quilt doesn't have to be large to be spectacular! I'll bet it must feel amazing with all the stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I suffer from a 'disproportionate amount of deliberation' as well.
    I've been wearing more purple (when I am an old lady, I shall wear...) but I don't generally sew with that color. I can see that I must try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you showed that flimsey before I assumed it was a person size quilt not a dolls house size quilt, so 2 inch block with what must be a 1/4 inch cross on each? My friend, is it your body or your mind that is misbehaving? That's insanely small!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does look bigger - only 8", wow, reckon it fits the bill nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the quilt, I was surprised to read its only 8" It must have been fiddly doing those wonky squares!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That is tiny! Great skills Mrs FB :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great mini, glad to hear that you are enjoying some sunshine too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love small quilts, they are fun to make, and usually so much faster to finish! The fabrics you chose look beautiful together!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think there have been many fab purple prints lately. Your choice to use solids is a fab one and you did brilliantly mixing it up with the crosses. I think it's a lovely mini.
    So glad you're getting out and about, missy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's some tiny piecing. Lovely little mug rug

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did not expect to see 8" square as it's measurements. Small but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this sweet tiny piecing. I think radiant orchid is a huge improvement over last year's emerald, though I'm sure you made that one shine as well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is fabby Hadley! I love how the quilting has muted the colours and made them blend. I must have a go at that matchstick quilting some day - I just love the effect! And a wonky cross quilt is in my UFO pile :(

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well I think it's really fab - I LOVE the matchstick quilting, the wonky crosses, and that you used all solids. Great work and thank you for playing along with the Challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the photo that shows the mini mid-quilting, half done and half not, love, love, love those shots! It is so pretty and such great texture and I would have NEVER guessed it was so small!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful! That matchstick quilting is insane (in a good way) and I love all the different shades of purple that you used! The wonky crosses are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the gradation of purple throughout!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I have switched over to 'Registered Users only' I am really sorry if you are now unable to comment.

PS. If you are a 'No Reply' blogger, I am not able to thank you for your comments, so please leave an email address if you want to be contactable. xxx